|Portrayed by||Matthew Lillard|
|Occupation||High school student|
|Girlfriends||Tatum Riley (present)|
|Casey Becker (former)|
Stuart "Stu" Macher is the secondary antagonist of Scream and was Billy Loomis' weak-willed, insensitive, and eccentric best friend. A horror movie fanatic, he went along with Billy's slasher film-like murder spree.
Stu is the fun-loving boyfriend of supporting character, Tatum Riley. In the beginning of the film, it is revealed that he dated the late Casey Becker until she dumped him for Steve Orth. Stu is the accomplice to Billy Loomis, assisting Billy in multiple murders including that of Maureen Prescott, Sidney's mother.
The next day at school, the gang sits together around a fountain and talk about the two deaths from the previous night. Sidney tried to recall Stu dating Casey. Randy side talks to Tatum saying Casey dumped him for Steve. Even though Stu and Tatum claim Stu dumped Casey for her, this is often seen as the obvious reason Casey and Steve were chosen as victims. Stu then says, "I didn't kill anybody." This is seen as if he has something to defend.
Later, Stu throws a party at his house after classes are cancelled and citywide curfew is placed. After the guests leave, Stu and Billy reveal their plan to Sidney, including how they are going to frame her father, Neil Prescott. Billy and Stu begin to stab each other to make themselves look like the victims of their scapegoat. Stu claims that after watching several horror films, they know how to frame and get away with murder. However, Billy stabs him too deep and Stu begins bleeding profusely, complaining of "feeling a little woozy" and appears to be dying. Sidney runs off after the two men are distracted by Gale. With Billy unconscious, Stu chases Sidney down and attempts to kill her, claiming that he "always had a thing for [her]." She bites his hand, hits him with a vase, and drops a TV on his head. This electrocutes and, most likely, kills him.
In Scream 2, Stu was mentioned briefly just before Randy was killed on campus when he asked the Ghostface voice on the other end of the phone why he was copying two high school losers, Stu & Billy. He called Stu a "Pussy-Ass Wet Rag" before insulting Billy. Calling Billy a "homo repressed mama's boy" drove Mrs. Loomis to drag Randy into Gale's news van and kill him.
Stu and Billy are mentioned again briefly in Scream 3. Gale mentions both of their names when Detective Mark Kincaid says the new killer is taking credit for Maureen's murder. Later, when Sidney goes into the movie set version of her house, both of their voices are played as she reminisces.
Matthew Lillard revealed in an interview after news of Scream 4 broke out that Stu was originally going to have survived his death in the first film. He was going to be the mastermind behind a killing spree targeting Sidney from prison. This was idea was cancelled after Columbine High School broke out three weeks before shooting was supposed to begin. The short mention of this can be heard here: http://themovieblog.com/2010/11/matthew-lillard-was-the-original-scream-3-killer
Stu was referenced many times in the fourth installment. His party was referenced along with him and Billy when the killers are saying how they will be like them. They say, "Like Billy and Stu." Stu, Billy Loomis, Randy and Tatum with Sidney were supposed to be in the final version of Scream 4, but they were ultimately cut out of the final film.
| ||Stu Macher has a Photo Gallery.|
- "When do we see Jamie Lee's breasts? I wanna see Jamie Lee's breasts!"
- (To Randy's outburst) "Have an aneurysm, why don't you?"
- "My mom and dad are going to be so mad at me..."
- "Liver alone!"
- "Ow, you f*cking hit me with the phone, DICK!"
- "Suprise, Sidney." (revealing himself as one of the Ghostface killers)
- Stu was the first Ghostface to be killed instantly by Sidney Prescott.
- Stu was also the first Ghostface to attack Sidney.
- In the scene where Billy throws the phone at Stu and Stu cries out was actually a mistake. Skeet's hands were so slippy from the fake blood, the phone slipped out of his hands and accidentally hit Matthew in the head. His now infamous line was actually improvised, not scripted. Wes decided not to cut that scene and left it in the movie. The line is, "You hit me with the phone, DICK!"
- Stu, along with Billy, are the only Ghostface killers to have been mentioned in all 4 movies.